Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What A Trip!

This time I pulled out of Amarillo around 6:00 p.m.
Why night driving?
I came to the conclusion that I-40 & I-44 would be much safer with me facing FORWARD instead of constantly turning around to attend to Kaden in the back seat.
AND after the last day trip from Columbia to Amarillo, I swore that I would NOT do the solo drive with Kaden awake/ whining/ spitting out his pacifier/ trying to get my attention for
11 ½ hours.
With my thermos of coffee, a great book on CD and my iPod full of jammin' beats, we headed east. 
The only downside to this twisted logic?
By the time we pulled up to the farm at 5:00 a.m. Kaden was WELL-rested and wanted to play with Baxter (or Baxter, dad’s weenie-dog, wanted to play with Kaden) and I was jittery, on the verge of passing out.

Kaden with his Missouri grandpas.

It took me a few days to get back to feeling normal. Thankfully, by the time I drove to Warrenton, mom was able to watch Kaden while I caught a few naps.
Is it wrong to be jealous of your brother's hair?!

Mom's new pool.
Aunt Pat drove in from St. Louis and brought Wash-U teddy bear & bubbles, which were a HUGE hit!



After a few days with mom, we headed to Columbia for our annual girls' weekend. 
Jennifer, Jessica and I have managed to keep in touch and get together fairly often despite jobs, living in different states, being married, having kids, etc... 
Although it wasn't quite the same as in years' past, I think we managed QUITE well considering the three of us had 5 kids under the age of 5 with us for the weekend! 
Somehow we got all of the kids to bed by 9:00 p.m. in our adjoining hotel room.
(Bailey- 4, McKenna-3, Kaden-10 months, Ava-6 months, Shay-7 weeks)
Kaden all calm & relaxed while Jennifer gave Ava a bottle. 


On Saturday, the 26th, Kyle celebrated his “golden birthday” in style with a birthday/wedding cake at the Ragtag theatre.  Blueberry (top layer), chocolate (2nd layer) with vanilla butter-cream icing.  YUM!
This was the first time that Kaden had cake and absolutely loved it! Could. Not. Get. Enough.
Mom, dad, Helen, Tony… everyone gave him a bite and he ate so much that I thought he might get sick.  Chocolate crumbs on his mouth but looking for more...
I literally had to take him outside to get the cake out of sight because he threw a little fit when I wouldn’t let him have any more.

Cuddles with grandma.

Saying goodbye to everyone in California, MO

Finally hitting the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment