Monday, January 20, 2014

Phoenix Rock 'n Roll Marathon

In June, at least six months in advance, it sounded easy just to tack on another marathon since we "would be trained."  As it turned out, after the Dallas fiasco, going to Phoenix for a 26.2 run was a fabulous idea. 
No wind.  No snow. 
Instead, we had to prepare for the opposite end of the weather spectrum: 
sunglasses, sunscreen, shorts and tank tops… in January.
Mary snapping a few photos as we were getting ready...
Slamming down a bit of coffee & a few final bites before leaving #20. 

Doug chauffeured us to the start line in downtown Phoenix.  
Posing by the Porta potties; should've planned for a better background. ;)
Lining up in our corrals for the marathon. 

I wasn't sure how I would feel about having two completely different courses – the half marathon runners and the marathoners never saw each other during this race, except for maybe at the end. 
Mary & Doug did such a wonderful job of taking care of the boys all morning/day while we ran. Has the course when wound it's way to downtown Scottsdale (mile 17), Mary, Doug, and the boys were waiting on a street corner to cheer us on. It was such a great feeling to see them! 
Kaden looked excited as Abby & I approached, while Owen looked somewhat confused and then upset (started to cry) as we ran by.
We gladly took a 30-second break to make him feel better...

Grateful for these photos that were taken along the course.
nearing the finish, near Tempe, Arizona



Abby and I finished together with Laura a couple of minutes ahead. 

I know I say this every time, but it's just such a euphoric feeling to be DONE!
(and remind me to never wear these shorts in public again)

Laying down with my legs up in the air seem to be the best form of relief. 

Luckily the boys were passed out on Mary's bed as she came to pick us up at the end.

We. Did. It! 

Soon as we crossed that finish line and I stumbled towards the water/ wet towels/ food, I swore to everyone that I would never do a marathon again.  It felt as though knives were stabbing my hamstrings & calves...  Went so far as to say that Laura should slap me across the face if I begin to romanticize that far suggest we train for one again. To make sure, I got on the phone with Ben and told him the same thing…

 Fast forward about 24 hours and the car ride home with the 5 of us...
"Maybe next year..." somehow came out of my mouth with nods in agreement. 
We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment