Sunday, July 24, 2011

Taos, New Mexico

The only other time that Ben & I have been in Taos together was for a ski trip several years ago with Dan & Heather Richard. Fast forward 3 ½ years, we made the same trip only during the summer AND with two 2-year-olds. Dan had a mountain bike race on Saturday morning so they thought it would be fun to invite us  along for the weekend.

Weekend Highlights

 •   Experiencing rain & feeling a 30° temperature drop as we approached the mountains.
  • Driving through Cimarron Canyon & Carson National Forest.  Landscape pictures never come close to what it looks like in real life.
Taos Pizza Outback.  Their house vinaigrette (basil-pesto… wonderfulness!) was the BEST salad dressing I’ve EVER had!  Pizza you can order by the slice (also great for Ben & my opposing pizza palates), and just one slice was more than I could handle… for 2 meals! AND we could sit outside, which was totally kid-friendly.
Taos Plaza. Fun/unique shopping and restaurants…
Very dog friendly place with a definite artsy “hippie vibe” as you’re walking around.

Dan & Ben both agreed to watch the kids (hang out at the hotel while they napped) as Heather & I seized our opportunity head downtown for a few hours. There are normally a lot of different events going on around Taos, and this weekend was no exception… There was some type of festival going on around the plaza with live music, street vendors and tons of people walking around. We had a leisurely lunch and poked around the shops. I watched a guy making pottery and I bought myself a new, handmade coffee mug to remember the weekend.

Danni "getting cozy" while Kaden bounced

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Mixed feelings on this one. It was definitely beautiful and worth the 10-minute drive outside of town, but I was in such a complete panic about Kaden being too close to the rail of the gorge and the fact that there wasn’t a guard-rail separating the edge from passing traffic that I couldn’t fully enjoy it. (This type of neuroticism truly must come with the territory of motherhood/ being completely responsible for someone else’s life.) Three minutes was about all I could handle.
 Rio Grande Gorge
 Heather, Danni and Dan Richard
 looking toward Taos
Dan with Danni & Ben with Kaden... and Heather & I trying not to completely freak out

There’s just something about going to the mountains that makes us happy.
The beach is great, but Ben & I both decided that if we HAD to choose one destination over the other, the mountains would slightly come out on top (no pun intended).



No comments:

Post a Comment