Sunday, March 27, 2011

How Much?!

Several years ago, before Kaden was born, I remember reading an article that discussed the literal cost of raising a child born in 2010. From heath care, to clothing, food, education, etc., the projected expense to raise a child (birth to 18) hovered around $250,000… WHAT?!
AND that was supposedly a conservative figure as it didn’t even consider the cost of college tuition! Yet another reason I was nervous about becoming a mother… How were we ever going to afford a child, much less raise him/her right?


Yes, I know it's expensive to raise a child, but I'm not sure how much this article took into consideration whether others help along the way. I will never forget the feeling I had after our first baby shower: touching everything, folding tiny onsies & making little stacks by size/season.  I distinctly remember smiling & marveling at how MUCH love & support we had from our friends & family.  SERIOUSLY, I sat in the middle of the piles to write "thank you's" and couldn't get over how it was all miraculously coming together. 

 In the picture above, I am reminded of so many people who helped us in the past two years.
(crib: belonged to Ben & cousins, bumper: great-aunt Deann, monkey blanket: great-aunt Pat, bunny rabbit: great-aunt Kathy, stuffed tiger: grandma Cook, stuffed monkey: Heather, jammies: probably from Leo's bag of cast-offs... the light blue blanket is the only thing I bought.)

 
Kaden & Schatzi and the "new" monkey blanket.

 Somehow, 19 months have passed. In addition to clothes and toys coming from both grandmas, great aunts, and aunties, we’ve somehow (thankfully) managed to wind up in the middle of a gently used clothing circle. This summer Kaden will be two and I’ve hardly had to buy outfits on my own. Amazing!

Raising Kaden has been the most fulfilling thing we have done… no matter the “cost.”

No comments:

Post a Comment