Monday, October 17, 2016

Dude, Where's My Car?!?

Yard sale time.  
With our group, we tend to purge every spring AND fall.  
With the new house in a fairly busy location, the powers that be decided that MY house would be the best location for the fall yard sale-- see how things go at this location.  

Side note: I always park my car INSIDE the garage at night and typically leave the keyless start fob inside. 

Anyway... as with any yard sale the person's garage becomes FILLED with treasures from at least 7 different families, therefore rendering the garage useless for parking cars for a few days.  My house became a revolving door of people coming/going/dropping/organizing/ along with my mom visiting for the weekend.  

So on Friday morning, when I set my alarm to go running at 5AM before everyone came over, I was utterly confused when I walked to the back door and couldn't find my Prius.
Maybe Julie drove my car back to her house last night, after picking up Evelyn...
Maybe Ben moved it after he came home...
Maybe I DID park it in the garage after we organized (insane thought but yes, I checked)...
Maybe it's down the street...

Before waking Ben, I called Julie (yes, at 5:10AM) and our conversation went a little something like this: 

"Hey... sorry to wake you, but did you borrow my car last night?"
"What?!?"
"Ummmm... did you take my car home with you after getting Evelyn?"
"What?!? Did someone STEAL your CAR?!?"
"No.... I think someone borrowed it and I was too busy to notice."
(I literally thought one of my friends had it; it was clearly insane for someone to steal an old Prius.)
"KRISTIN!  Call the police.  Someone STOLE your car!"
😬
So I finally woke Ben... he called the police... we filed a report...
and then our yard sale began... 
So the story was told about 1000x over the course of the afternoon. 

And while telling it OVER and OVER and OVER... and OVER like 1,000x that day was somewhat therapeutic, it suddenly hit me that my car was STOLEN. In one day I went from confusion, to scared, to upset, to hostile, and then just plain feeling like a failure for leaving my car unlocked with the key inside. (Idiot!)

It was great to be surrounded by my friends & family that day. 

 and we resumed our normal yard sale shenanigans 
with my mom and I competing in a little game we like to call "who wore it best"? 

And after 6 days of no Prius and me shedding my final tears, I hopped onto the computer and started researching used mini-vans.  And THAT was the moment the Amarillo Police Department called to inform me that my car had been found, abandoned on the Boulevard... 


Complete with purple fingerprint dust and everything gone... except that Lumineers CD.  
*sigh*


    

No comments:

Post a Comment