Friday, August 10, 2012

Amarillo College

Mama's got a new job!

Over the past 6 years I've been teaching group fitness at several gyms around Amarillo. 
At the beginning of summer a friend of mine who ran the Carter Fitness Center at Amarillo College had a going away party as her husband just graduated & took a job near San Antonio. 

We were talking about her certifications and what/where she would teach/personal train, etc... when it somehow came up that I had a masters degree in education.  Her face lit up and she urged me to apply at the college and teach a few adademic classes.  Although it was exciting to think about, I told her to talk to her boss and have him call me it she really thought it were possible.

Right about the time I had given up and put the possibility behind me, the phone rang and I found myself talking to the man in charge of the fitness department at the college.  We talked for about 10 minutes and during that time he told me that I had been highly recommended from 2 of his employees and then proceeded to tell me about my job requirements.  Suddenly I found myself with a new job. 
The best part is that I nearly fell off the couch when he told me the pay.  Now, I don't get paid a lot teaching 1-hour classes at a time, but it is about 3x what I currently get elsewhere AND I have the Kaden-Owen childcare situation figured out.   

So, in a couple of weeks I will be a "teaching assistant" at Amarillo College, teaching 2 semester-long courses (BodyCombat & Zumba) to incoming freshmen/sophomores/those needing to fulfill a P.E. credit before graduation.

Talk about knowing the right people AND being at the right place at the right time!
Having an equal mixture of nervousness & excitement...

1 comment: