Tuesday, January 24, 2012

From Child to Children

Over the past 6-weeks it has been a pleasure to go from one child to two children AND we can honestly say that the transition to two has been easier on us than move to just one.

• Owen is SUPER chilled out! He seldom cries, is fine laying by himself on the floor or in his swing, and is a champion sleeper. We couldn’t have asked for a better 2nd baby!  

• Ben & I are still in “baby” mode and we know what to expect most of the time. Luckily Kaden became “officially” potty trained (as in wearing underwear all day without accidents) just in time for Owen’s arrival.

• I didn’t have any other major-life changes at the time of Owen’s birth.
When Kaden was born, school was beginning during my hospital stay. During those first weeks home, I struggled emotionally with the fact that I wasn’t “going to work” for the first time in my life.
This time around I love the fact that I get to stay home most of the day and am so grateful.

giving "gentle pats"
• We have more wisdom about what it takes to get out of the house. Instead of getting irritated at not being able to walk out of the house at a moment’s notice, I now KNOW it’s going to be at least a ½ hour before hitting the road and at least one of the following will occur:
Someone will need to use the bathroom (either a potty or in their diaper)
Someone’s shoes will be missing (either mine or Kaden’s) and we will have to roam the house to find them.
Someone will need to nurse or I will have to pump if we are leaving for an extended period of time.
… and when we finally get settled into the car to leave, I will press the “start” button on the Prius only to be told, “no key detected”, causing me to run back into the house to check jacket pockets…

two sleeping tigers
• We seem to be more laid back in general.
Our house is always somewhat of a wreck. If one room looks good, chances are several others are in disarray. OR if the kitchen counters are clean and clutter-free, the floor is in dire need to sweeping/mopping (or vice versa).  As much as I’ve beaten myself up over this, I am working on accepting this fact.
BUT to my defense, I will be cleaning one room only to find Kaden stripping ALL of the pillows from the beds and couches in order to make a nest.
  
little mister enjoying his tummy time


No comments:

Post a Comment