Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ski Santa Fe

Ben & I haven't been skiing together in over three years, so we were elated to have a weekend to get away.  Thanks to Shanny & David, we were able to sneak off to Santa Fe.  Alone! 
Marking the first time we've EVER left Kaden for two whole nights.
As we went to reserve our skis last weekend, the guy talked us into trying Santa Fe opposed to Taos or Angelfire saying that they had gotten a lot of snow this season.  Neither of us had ever been to that mountain so we decided to give it a try.  Why not?  Santa Fe is a little closer than the other two (just under 4 hours) in addition to incredible dining & shopping.
Not trying to toot my own horn, BUT I was so proud of myself!  I was able to keep up with Ben and we were able to spend the entire afternoon together on our blue trails (only wiping out twice), with my skis together, making real turns- not snowplowing down the hill as I had been accustomed to doing before.
This is a HUGE improvement from the first couple of times I went with Ben to Angelfire,
where I spent most of the day going at a snail's pace, falling down and feeling guilty for having people wait around for me at the bottom before retreating to safe & easy green trails by myself.
We decided that Ski Santa Fe is now one of our favorites in New Mexico. 
It wasn't too crowded, there were many runs to choose from, it appeared quite family friendly- meaning there was a great little ski-school area for Kaden to explore in a couple years AND there are so many other things to do around the town.  Heck, before this trip Santa Fe never even crossed our minds as a place to go skiing. 
a couple more B&W pictures snapped on Hipstamatic from my phone
There wasn't any leisurely walking around the square or browsing/shopping this time 
(Ben does not enjoy that sort of thing) since the focus on the trip was to ski (and eat). 
Luckily, I was able to stock up on a few items from Trader Joe's before leaving town. 
I'm already scheming on when I can go back.  Santa Fe would be a FANTASTIC girls' trip!
hint-hint

No comments:

Post a Comment