Sunday, August 21, 2016

Ragnar: Angel Fire, New Mexico


For the past 2 years, running a trail ragnar race has been on my radar.  I was really excited to see that there was a race reasonably close to Amarillo in Angel Fire, but once I tried recruiting for my team everyone was out due to it falling on the weekend before school began.  


And to be real honest with myself, I too knew it was a terrible weekend to leave town when Ben gets stressed out before the 1st day.  
So I kinda forgot about it....

... until I walked into Get Fit to look for a new pair of shoes and ran into Jim Black Childers.  
He asked if I had gotten together a team of my own and I remember saying along the lines of being "so bummed that it didn't work out for me..."
That's when he jumped in and said that he was on a team and they were scrambling to find their 8th person because someone had backed out last-minute.  He gave me Amanda's phone number and asked if I would join their team.  I was cautiously excited but knew I needed to talk to Ben if I really wanted to go (which *really* did).  
I also knew that I was in pretty good shape as Laura and I had been running all summer. 
Aaaaannnddd... it wasn't something to stress about because the team was pretty laid-back and I was assured that I would "fit in perfect" with everyone else.  

Long story short, I talked to Ben and after just one slow sigh and eye-roll, he said I could go.  
(He gets me... and my inner-crazy.)
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!


Basically each runner does a section of the course (green, red, or yellow) and then hands off to the next runner until all runners have completed all 3 courses (all 24 legs are complete).  
Over the course of about 18 hours, each of us completed 14.7 miles of beautiful, hilly terrain.  


 So I went to Kaden's open house at Paramount Terrace Elementary on Friday night,
immediately jumped into the packed Prius, 
and did a SOLO road trip to New Mexico. 

All summer I was in somewhat of a funk and Julie's mom asked me what my ideal vacation would be. My response was, "alone time... in the mountains... with a good book... I don't want to take care of anyone... I just want everyone to leave me the **** alone for a few days."
No lie, that was my actual response & you can fill in the asterisks. 

Ben didn't know this, but letting me leave was THE BEST gift I could have received at that moment. 
He granted my wish: alone time, a new audio-book, cool mountain air, and running through the woods (alone).  
sunset outside Clayton, New Mexico 


 I couldn't quite get my mind around the 1,000 ft. climb until I looked up the mountain from our campsite.  


Let the games begin.  
Emily starting her 1st loop that I would.


Meanwhile... there were fun things to do and ways to win new Solomon trail shoes...   
 ... such as last man (or woman) standing.



  with first loop completed.  



 panoramic view



 the hand-off tent

 roasting marshmallows for s'mores

 sometime just after 10:30 PM I started my first 6.2 mile loop. 

 There was a full moon this weekend which ALMOST provided enough light 
  
and then I began my 2nd 4.7 mile loop around dawn




 So beautiful that I couldn't resist taking pictures along the way.



and ___ danced so hard that she won herself a brand new pair of Solomon's. 

RAD-est medal EVER!!

 even the back was awesome












No comments:

Post a Comment