Monday, April 28, 2014

Oklahoma City 13.1 Weekend

Girls weekend! 
I don't know how many times I've passed this leaning water town on I-40 in the past 12 years, but we all decided that we needed to pull over for a photo op during this girly road trip. 

Yes, we are in a bathroom... on stop #2 only about 60 miles outside Amarillo...

...and then stop #3 for some poses in front of the Oklahoma sign.

This may just seem like a beautiful picture of the American Flag, but it's actually showing how strong the winds were in OKC!  Saturday was CRAZY windy.
The tall building in downtown OKC and my thoughts of the long line and the weather forecast for Saturday night/Sunday morning. 

Even though Laura and I were the only ones "running" the race on Saturday morning, Laci & Sarah wanted an excuse to get out of town and hang out for the weekend. 
Laci is a true foodie and her role of the weekend was to seek & find delicious places to eat.  
She succeeded with our dinner at Kitchen 324 in the downtown area.
This photo doesn't do this salad justice, but it was the best salad EVER.  I had to refrain from licking the plate when I was finished.  

Race Day:
And since we are such nice friends (Laura and I) we made Laci and Sarah drive us to the start line.  
We were promptly at our proper gate by 6:30 a.m., when the race was supposed to start, but it started to rain and there was lightning seen around the course.  
So... in order to avoid getting wet, we piled into a parking garage outside our corral. 
And I found a nice man passing out trash bags.

26,000 people waiting out the storm...
Thankfully, we were able to start by 8:20 a.m.  
The awful wind died and the weather was downright pleasant for us... to the point where we were steamy and praising God that we weren't doing a full marathon. 
Medals... this is why we run. 
To complete the goal and see something in our hands for the weeks of effort paid off. 
I think we actually got a little dehydrated because Laura had a hard time standing at the end without being dizzy and I felt as though I could wring water out of my clothes.  
Laci, Kristin, Laura, and Sarah at the entrance to the memorial.
And as we were walking back to the car, I discovered the Chihuly exhibit at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art.  Love it!

Laci proving herself once again by finding Stella- the BEST post-race brunch a girl could ask for.  Eating: the real reason I run.  I love food!

Oddly enough, after running 13.1 miles and eating amazing food with friends, being gone a whopping 28-hours is all I need to feel completely recharged and ready to see my family again.  

1 comment:

  1. omg. so jealous! It looks like you had a great time! r.

    ReplyDelete