Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bountiful Harvest

Since living here, herbs, specifically basil, have been my specialty.
And this isn't for lack of trying other plants.
Although it pains me to admit, I have attempted to grow tomatoes here since we've been married... and have failed miserably for 5 straight YEARS.  (Gasp!... I know, how embarassing!)  In Missouri, I basically put a few tomato plants in the ground and hoped I wouldn't be overrun with them in August.  Amarillo has been a completely different story: wind burn, sun burn (didn’t even know this was a possibility), drought (if someone forgot to water for more than a day) on top of our horrible soil and Schatzi.

It's so hard for me to admit defeat, therefore I decided to try one final spot.
With love, I carefully planted 6 tomato varieties in the ground with 1experimental plant in the big pot, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best...
Cherry tomatoes!  RED, RIPE, TOMATOES... From MY yard!

Go figure I'd get it right the year it hasn't yet rained. Seriously, we haven't had ANY rain in Amarillo this YEAR.  None.



No comments:

Post a Comment