Thursday, February 25, 2010

We've Made It!

Hallelujah!
I’ve managed to breastfeed Kaden exclusively for 6 whole months! To some, this might sound like a small feat but after the low initial milk supply, the toe-curling latch-on pain during the first 3 weeks, then trying to get back into the swing of teaching/exercising again & the planning that involves (hello 3 bras!), I feel like we’ve made it through our first HUGE milestone.

Last night I decided to give solid food a try, and I have to admit that I had been looking forward to this day for a long time.  I was literally giddy as I unfolded the brand new high chair and strapped him in.  I’m not sure what Kaden was thinking, but he seemed to be enjoying watching us- all smiles.
We only managed to get a few bites of rice cereal down before taking a break.
Kaden seems to be more of a morning person, so when he woke up in good spirits I decided to try again. In addition to some rice cereal, I offered some mashed up avocado. Although he gave several puzzled looks, he swallowed and opened his mouth for more.
According to the book, Baby 411, I believe that Kaden's feeding behavior falls into the category of "The Eager Ineffective". Since birth, his tendency is to get so excited about eating that he that he jerks & thrashes his body, grabbing onto objects instead of being patient (this is where he might take after his momma).
The most challenging part for me is trying to get food IN the mouth while avoiding his flailing hands & death grip on the spoon. For such a little person, I am truly amazed at his ability to clench his tiny fist onto objects and hang on!
I think he was a little confused at the notion of water and I'm not sure how much he actually drank.  Nonetheless, he sure enjoyed gumming the rubber tip and playing with his new "toy".  I'm chalking this feeding up as a success.

Although I plan on continuing to breastfeed until he turns one/he decides to wean himself, I cannot help but feel immense satisfaction of making it to this 6-month milestone. 
Ahhhh... (sweet sigh of relief!)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Loved the post, and I just to want to say I think you're an excellent momma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... you're so sweet! Don't know if it will work out, BUT I'm going to be in Missouri again from March 17-23. I won't have a car, but will surely be in Columbia at some point.

    ReplyDelete